Dear Parents and Carers,
Congratulations to the Year 6 pupils and teaching team for making it through the week, and completing their last SATs paper this morning. I have been so impressed with the children for their calm approach to the tests this week. Some nerves were inevitable but the atmosphere in the school has been positive and the children remained composed and upbeat about the process. Well done all! And, a big thank you to the Year 6 parents who organised a special treat for the children by organising an ice-cream van to visit the school and ensure every Year 6 child had an ice-cream. What a lovely end to the week for a very hard-working bunch of children.
Family Mass – 14th May
Our ‘family Mass’ takes place this Sunday, 14th May at St George’s Church, at 9.15am. All are welcome to attend. It will be a Marian themed Mass, and the choir will lead the hymns. I have handed out reading parts to the children who returned the permission slip. Please can these be practiced over the weekend? We went over to the Church on Friday afternoon to have a little practice, so hopefully they will be confident in what they need to do.
The Summer Fete will be held this year on Friday 14th July. It was an amazing success last year and could only be described as a show-stopper event. We are hoping that some of our wonderful school community will get involved again this year to raise money for our wonderful school.
Hayden’s Mum (Laura) is organising a meeting on Friday, 26th May at 2.45pm in the Busy Room. All are welcome and we would be so grateful for your support.
Parking at our School
I was saddened this week to receive several complaints from parents and local residents about the parking and driving in and around our school grounds and the Mount. In light of the comments I received, I have reviewed our car park risk assessment and I feel that further action is necessary. I take the safety of the pupils at this school, and our wider school community, very seriously. For this reason, I am taking a number of steps to review the safety of car park and will be reporting to Governors shortly on the viability of keeping it open.
- I have contacted Avon and Somerset Police to request support in patrolling the area.
- I have contacted the Health & Safety Officer at Somerset Council and invited them to review our risk assessment and to visit the school.
- I am also in contact with the Council regarding illegal parking around our school such as blocking exits, entrances and roadways near the school, therefore limiting access and increasing incidents between drivers.
I very much hope not to have to close our car park to parents, as many schools locally have done. However, safety must come first and with incidents increasing week on week, action must be taken to ensure the safety of our pupils and wider community. I strongly appeal to all parents to follow the rules of the one-way system and car park, and to show consideration, patience and respect when coming to our grounds to drop off and collect their children. I know that so many of you already do this.
Here is a reminder of the rules of our car parking system:
- Use the one-way system.
- As spaces become available, please fill up the spaces that are further along so more cars can enter the car park. This helps to avoid blocking the entry gate and gets things moving more quickly.
- Do not leave your car while you are parked in the lane. This applies to the morning drop-off and the afternoon pick-up.
- Please don’t leave large gaps between cars when parked in the lane. We need to fit as many cars in the lane as possible to ease congestion further back in the queue.
- If you park at the Church, you must still follow the one-way system. Do not drive back up the lane.
- Sometimes, there are no spaces available to park in the morning. In this instance, it is drop off only. Older children may walk to the playground themselves. If you have a younger child and would like to accompany them to the playground, please go around the one-way system again to park up. Spaces become available very quickly.
- At collection time, please return to your car as soon as you have collected your child to avoid delays.
- Do not park on the double yellow lines at the school entrance, and do not park against the wall opposite the school entrance. There are ‘no parking’ signs indicating this.
- Do not park in any manner as to narrow or block entrances or exits to the school.
Thank you for your support in keeping our children safe.
Sunday 14th May – Family Mass/School link Mass- 9.15am in Church
Thursday 18th May – Ascension Day Mass in Church – 9.30am. Parents welcome.
Monday 5th June – INSET DAY – SCHOOL CLOSED
Wednesday, 14th June – Leaver’s Mass at Clifton Cathedral – the Diocese send their apologies that due to space available with so many schools attending, parents cannot attend.
Friday 26th June – Reception Class visit to Axe Valley Wildlife Park
Thursday 29th June – St Peter and St Paul Mass in Church – 9.30 am. Parents welcome.
Friday, 14th July – Summer Fete – save the date - details to follow.
Wednesday 19th July – Year 6 Leaver’s Mass in Church – 9.30 am in Church. Parents welcome.