We intend for all our pupils to have:
- The ability to acquire new knowledge and skills exceptionally well and develop an in-depth understanding of PE.
- The willingness to practise skills in a wide range of different activities and situations, alone, in small groups and in teams and to apply these skills in chosen activities to achieve exceptionally high levels of performance.
- High levels of physical fitness.
- A healthy lifestyle, achieved by eating sensibly, avoiding smoking, drugs and alcohol and exercising regularly.
- The ability to remain physically active for sustained periods of time and an understanding of the importance of this in promoting long-term health and well-being.
- The ability to take the initiative and become excellent young leaders, organising and officiating, and evaluating what needs to be done to improve, and motivating and instilling excellent sporting attitudes in others.
- Exceptional levels of originality, imagination and creativity in their techniques, tactics and choreography, knowledge of how to improve their own and others’ performance and the ability to work independently for extended periods of time without the need of guidance or support.
- A keen interest in PE. A willingness to participate eagerly in every lesson, highly positive attitudes and the ability to make informed choices about engaging fully in extra-curricular sport.
- The ability to swim at least 25 metres before the end of Year 6 and knowledge of how to remain safe in and around water.
At St George’s Catholic Primary School we are lucky enough to have our very own PE team! The children receive 2 hours of PE within the curriculum and this includes a swimming lesson every other week. We pride ourselves on offering a wide variety of sporting after school clubs. The children also attend sporting festivals, compete against other schools in Central Venue Leagues and are encouraged to have active playtimes.
All teachers are conscious that children do not sit at their desks for too long and we promote active learning. We also use Brain Gym/Super Movers to keep children engaged.