We intend for all our pupils to have:
- A rapidly widening repertoire which they use to create original, imaginative, fluent and distinctive composing and performance work.
- A musical understanding underpinned by high levels of aural perception, internalisation and knowledge of music, including high or rapidly developing levels of technical expertise.
- Very good awareness and appreciation of different musical traditions and genres.
- An excellent understanding of how musical provenance - the historical, social and cultural origins of music - contributes to the diversity of musical styles.
- The ability to give precise written and verbal explanations, using musical terminology effectively, accurately and appropriately.
- A passion for and commitment to a diverse range of musical activities.
Class teachers follow a specialised music scheme called Kapow to deliver lessons to their class. In Year 4, children learn how to play the ukulele with our peripatetic music teacher during the Autumn and Spring terms. Year 5 learn samba drumming during the Summer term.
We have a school choir who meet regularly to practice and they perform during assemblies and special events.