Dear Parents and Carers,
This Week in School
On Wednesday, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to attend the Year 6 Leaver’s Mass in Clifton. It was a wonderful celebration of the children’s school journey so far, and a chance to look ahead to the bright futures that lay before them. It was wonderful to hear a familiar voice giving the Homily – the much-loved Monsignor Bernard Massey. Anyone who has ever heard one of Monsignor’s sermons will appreciate that it was touching, heartfelt and inspiring. He has asked the children to go forward with all they have learned, to go and make a difference, letting their lights shine brightly with their faith as their guide. I was moved to hear his words of encouragement to the children, and he spent a great deal of time with them after the service, enquiring how they have been and chatting enthusiastically with them. The children’s behaviour was exemplary throughout the morning, and I was so impressed with how they presented themselves, in parading our school banner, in delivering their class gift to the altar, in reciting the bidding prayers after the Homily and in their wonderful singing. It is another important milestone in their St George’s journey, one I hope they will remember for years to come.
On Thursday, we had our KS1 Sports Day and what fantastic weather we had for the event. We were delighted that so many parents could join us to cheer the children on and Mr Chidgey was thrilled with the effort and sportsmanship shown by the KS1 children. They all enjoyed their lollies to help them cool down after so much running around on the field. Thank you to parents for attending and for participating in the parents’ races (we have missed you at these occasions!) and thank you to the Sports Team for organising another successful event.
A reminder that our Summer Fete is on Friday 15th July at 2.30pm. We are sending out 2 raffle books per child in book bags. Please contact the office if you would like some more. We are grateful for any support you can give the school.
We are having a Mufti Day on Friday, 1st July. An email will be give further details of the item your child should bring to school, and the colour they should wear on the day. Please make sure you look out for this.
RSE – Relationships and Sex Education
Our RSE lessons will take place in the last two weeks of term. We would like to invite parents in to have a chat with teachers and to view the materials we use. These are the same materials from our RSE consultation 18 months ago. Please look out for a letter from your child’s teacher with further details.
I would like to inform you of some staffing changes for the coming academic year:
- Our wonderful SENDCo, Mrs Bullock, is leaving us. We have been lucky to have her as our SENDCo for so many years, and it is a very well earned retirement that is calling her away to new adventures. We are grateful for Mrs Bullock’s hard work and dedication in leading the EAL and SEND provision in our school, and for her support of staff as well. We have recruited a very experienced SENDCo, Mrs MacNamara, to take over the role from September onwards.
- We are not saying goodbye but au revoir to our inspiring Year 4 teacher, Mrs Earp, who is taking a sabbatical year to spend some time with her family. However, she will be popping in and out to see the children and to look in on how the library is doing, as she doesn’t want to lose touch. Mrs Potter, who has recently completed her teacher training, will be standing in for the year. She has undertaken her placements here at St George’s and at Parkfield School, and she has impressed everyone with her confidence and skill.
- We are very sad to wish farewell to Mrs Martin in Year 1. She has been a wonderful addition to the St George’s Team and we will truly miss her for the creativity and inspiration she brought to the teaching team in Year 1. In September, Mrs Crocker will be moving to Year 1 and working alongside Mrs Godfrey, and as highly skilled teachers with a wealth of experience under their belts, we know they will continue to bring learning to life for our younger students.
- We have recruited a new member of staff, Miss Cresswell, to take over in Year 2.
She impressed us at interview with her positivity and enthusiasm for helping children to learn and grow, and we are delighted that she is joining our excellent teaching team. She will join us for our ‘Moving Up’ day in July, when the children meet their new teachers.
- Mon 27th June: KS2 Sports Day – 1.45pm to 3.15pm. Please send your KS2 child to
school in PE kit.
- Wed 29th June – St Peter & St Paul Mass in Church led by Year 5 pupils – 9.30 am. Parents
welcome to attend.
- Monday 1st July - Mufti Day.
- Mon 4th—Fri 8th July – Islam Week – children will learn about the Islamic faith in RE lessons
- Fri 15th July – Summer Fete.
- Mon 18th July – Year 6 Production – Dress Rehearsal in school – for pupils
- Tues 19th July – Year 6 Production – Performance for Parents
- Wed 20th July – Year 6 Leaver’s Mass. Year 6 Parents welcome to attend.
- Fri 22nd July. Year 6 Leaver’s Assembly. Year 6 Parents welcome to attend